Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Dodos Concert Review

Last night I went to Lee's Palace in Toronto to see The Dodos play live.  I didn't know their music very well when I went to see them, but it didn't matter.  These guys put on an amazing show that I won't soon forget!
 
Meric Long (left) performed the lead vocals and guitar, while Logan Kroeber performed on drums.  Their newest member of the band, Keaton Snyder, was in the back playing the vibraphone, which is essentially an aluminum version of the xylaphone.  Each of these musicians used their instruments in very unique ways to create that "psychedelic" feeling to their music.  Meric Long spent most of the show using a finger-picking technique to play his guitar, but during an instrumental section, he put his guitar on the ground, grabbed a pair of drumsticks and used them to play the guitar.  It made a really cool slide guitar/screeching sound.  Keaton Snyder at one point used a cello bow to play the edges of the vibraphone, which made another unique sound.  I, however, spent most of my time watching Logan Kroeber on the drums.  

Instead of playing the bass drum with his foot, he played the bass drum with a drum stick, while tapping his foot with a tambourine attached to it.  I found the drum patterns he did in their songs very creative, and I couldn't keep from watching him play as quickly as he did while doing so many things at the same time. 

One of the hardest working bands I've ever seen on stage, these guys really put on a sweat, and I really enjoyed the show.  Check out their myspace, listen to some of their tunes, and keep an eye out for when they return to Toronto, or maybe even London!

No comments:

Post a Comment